Study in Sweden from UK: Study Guide and Requirements for International Students to Study in Sweden

0 97

If you have been to Europe and particularly to Sweden then you will be so much glad to take up a study in Sweden from UK, the country has one of the best education techniques for all students and also a good research centers. There is so much to gain and more to learn with the best of experience as you study in Sweden which is always free to accommodate all international scholars who meets up with the right documents for study.

Study in Sweden from UK

There are many universities located in Sweden, many of which make it into top ranks globally, such as Uppsala University, Lund University or Stockholm University.

Sweden has been one of the European pioneers for switching to English-language tuition and offers a whopping 900 degrees to choose from.

Many courses at Swedish universities enjoy strong links with industry, which is good news when it comes to work experience and career opportunities.

How do I get a visa?

If you check it this way, Sweden is part of the European Union so this is not required. You will need to register with the local authorities once you are resident in Sweden but this is not a step you need to undertake in advance.

Can I work there as a student?

If you have an EU passport then is possible that you can work while you are a student.

Good Quality Reasons why students would like to Study in Sweden (Study in Sweden from UK)


Student accommodation in Sweden is not managed by universities. However, most universities have information about local student housing companies and organizations and give students advice on how to sign up with them.

Although, this is not constant but the rent ranges from or between SEK 2,500 and SEK 6,500 (£190 – £501).

Visa Requirements for Students

Students from the EU/EEA can study in Sweden without any visa requirements. If you are from outside the EU/EEA, you may need to obtain a student visa. Check with the Swedish authorities to find out how to meet the legal requirements.

Language Requirements (Study in Sweden from UK)

Here are range of courses offered in English at all levels, you won’t need to be fluent in Swedish to study in the country.

If you’re hoping to study a course in English and you’re a non-native speaker, you can demonstrate your proficiency by taking either the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) or the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL).

Climate Range

Sweden is known for freezing winters and short mild summers. While the winters are long and dark, the summers are particularly rewarding when the sky never really goes dark. In late/mid-June, Swedes celebrate the summer solstice, called “midsommar”.


Sweden is located in North of Europe, in between Finland and Norway. Its largest international airport is Stockholm Arlanda with over 170 destinations worldwide.

Most smaller university cities in Sweden are close to local airports that can be reached via Arlanda or Stockholm’s second, mostly domestic airport, Bromma.

Sweden also has a well-developed train network and a number of overland bus companies. Then from the coast, you can often take ferries to other countries along the Baltic Sea.

Swedish universities (Study in Sweden from UK)

The Swedish higher education system consists of universities (universitet) and university colleges (högskolor).

Furthermore, Swedish universities tend to be more research-oriented, and university colleges are usually geared towards applied sciences.

Sweden is home to 39 universities. There are approximately 900 English-language Bachelor’s and Masters degrees to choose from.

Universities in Sweden

  • Blekinge Institute of Technology
  • Chalmers University of Technology
  • Dalarna University
  • EIT Urban Mobility Master School
  • Halmstad University
  • University of Gothenburg
  • University of Skövde
  • Jönköping University
  • Karlstad University
  • Karolinska Institutet
  • Kristianstad University
  • KTH Royal Institute of Technology
  • Linköping University
  • Linnaeus University
  • Luleå University of Technology
  • University West
  • Uppsala University
  • World Maritime University (WMU)
  • Lund University
  • Mälardalen University
  • Malmö University
  • Stockholm University
  • Umeå University
  • University of Borås
  • Mid Sweden University
  • Örebro University
  • SLU – Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences
  • Södertörn University in Stockholm
  • Sophiahemmet University College
  • Stockholm School of Economics
  • University of Gävle

Student visas (Study in Sweden from UK)

The rules for UK citizens travelling to EU countries changed recently. You can travel to countries in the Schengen Area (which includes Sweden) for up to 90 days in any 180-day period without a visa.

However, if you plan to study in Sweden for more than three months, you must apply for a residence permit before you move to the country.

To apply for one of these, you’ll need to:

  • pay your first tuition fee instalment
  • submit supporting documentation such as copies of your passport and university admission letter, as well as proof that you can financially support yourself.
  • complete an online application form and pay the application fee.

If you intend the live in Sweden for more than a year, you’ll also be required to register in the Swedish Population Register.

Swiss students are able to enter Sweden without a visa, but will need to register for a residence permit for any stay exceeding three months.

How to Apply

For undergraduate and Masters degrees, you’ll submit your application through Sweden’s central applications portal Yes is possible to try up to eight Bachelors programs in one cycle, or four Masters degrees.

As well as completing an online application form, you’ll also need to submit documentation that proves your eligibility to study in the country.

The documents includes:

  • certificates of diplomas
  • transcripts of any previous completed qualifications
  • evidence of your language proficiency (where appropriate)
  • a copy of your passport.

Finally, Check the Swedish Council on Higher Education for more information on having foreign qualifications officially under evaluation.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.