Study in Switzerland from UK: One of the Best Destination Country for International Scholars

0 91

Are you wondering if is possible to study in UK? well, yes there is a possibility of taking up a study in Switzerland, most scholars both far and wide get this weird feeling of how possible it would be and most of them would like to study in a country like Switzerland where they get to enjoy the best education has to offer especially in a good research environment and with the necessary facilities, however a study in Switzerland from UK entails a lot of process like the submission of legit or original documents, student visa, meeting up with the eligibility criteria etc . All students that apply for it will need to follow up the instructions and submit before deadline to be a full scholar in Switzerland.

Study in Switzerland from UK

Core Origin and Location of Switzerland

Switzerland is located in the heart of continental Europe and there is no doubt that Switzerland is one of the most beautiful countries within Europe.

It is a small country with a longstanding history in higher education excellence, dating all the way back to 1460 when the oldest university in the country, the University of Basel, was founded.

The country is surrounded by Italy, Germany, France, Austria and Liechtenstein, Switzerland is an alpine paradise, one of the safest countries to live and a popular tourist destination.

If you choose to study in Switzerland you will be able to visit picturesque landscapes, experience multiculturalism at its finest.

Also, in Switzerland you can also enjoy an innovative technological environment and high educational standards, as the country continuously ranks among the World top best.

Home to more than eight million residents, the country’s world-class universities attract countless prospective students looking for quality higher education.

The country’s four official languages are German, French, Italian, Romansh (with only some 60,000 speakers today).

How do I get a visa to study in Switzerland?

You do not need a visa if you are an EU/EEA citizen. However, you need to register with the local authorities (Residents’ Registration Office) within 14 days of entering Switzerland.

Can I work there as a student? (Study in Switzerland from UK)

Yes, you can do this absolutely, However, is possible if you have an EU/EEA passport and have registered with your local authorities.

What happens on Arrival?

You need to register with the local authorities (Einwohnerkontrolle, Residents’ Registration Office) within 14 days of entering Switzerland.

The following documents will be required:

  • Personal application for residence permit
  • Valid passport or identity card
  • Proof of registration at the university
  • Evidence of sufficient funds (bank certificate or certified document)
  • proof of address at place of residence
  • 2 passport-size photographs

Most Reasons why Students would like to Study in Switzerland (Study in Switzerland from UK)

Swiss universities & Education

The Swiss education system also offers quite a variety of options, although as a constant it does provide a consistently high standard, achieving top worldwide rankings.

There are 12 state-run institutions, Cantonal Universities which there are 10 and two Federal Institutes of Technology.

Then there are the Universities of Applied Sciences, Universities of Teacher Education, and the Accredited Swiss Higher Education Institutions.

Switzerland is continually adapting its education system and forging partnerships with other European countries.

There is a reasonably high proportion of foreign students at Swiss universities, they make up 21% of the bachelor’s and master’s students, and 53.6% of the PhD students. Overall there are 117,000 students attending a degree program at a Swiss university.

Language requirements

The different universities on Switzerland teach their degree programs in different languages depending on their location.

The Universities of Fribourg, Neuchâtel, Geneva and Lausanne, and the Federal Institute of Technology in Lausanne, are based in the French-speaking part of Switzerland and therefore teach in French.

Although the University of Fribourg is Switzerland’s only bilingual university offering its curriculum in both French and German.

The Universities of Basel, Bern, Lucerne, St Gallen, Zurich and the Federal Institute of Technology in Zurich are all in the German-speaking part of Switzerland.

While the Università della Svizzera italiana is absolutely located in the Italian-speaking part of Switzerland, therefore offering its programs in Italian.

Finally, lectures in Swiss universities are increasingly being offered in the English language – and to be selected for one of these programs students will need to demonstrate a sound understanding of the English language  maybe through TOEFL or IELTs scores, or an equivalent English language exam.

Switzerland tuition fees & funding (Study in Switzerland from UK)

The Swiss Government’s ongoing commitment to higher education in Switzerland means that the tuition fees are still relatively low.

Tuition fees vary from institution to institution and between courses but in many cases there is little or no difference between the fees for a Swiss student and  those of an international student except in the University of Lugano where foreign students pay twice as much as home students.

In general, however annual tuition fees for a masters degree program at a Swiss university start from around CHF1,000 (€830). There will also usually be an application fee of around CHF100-CHF150 (€83-€125).

Scholarship offers

The Swiss Government does offer a selection of scholarships to foreign students from both industrial and development countries.

The best way to find out whether you’re entitled to one of these scholarships is to contact the Swiss consulate in your own country.

In most cases to be eligible to apply for one of these state-funded scholarships the student must be under 35 years old.

Living  Standard in Switzerland

Some could say, Switzerland is perfectly formed! It is a clean, beautiful country rich in scenery and economic growth!

The universities offer first-class facilities and the cities offer a high standard of living and some great networking opportunities in the worlds of business and finance as well as research and development.

Furthermore, it is an international place to live and due to its multi-lingual slant, it offers a great environment in which to develop your language skills.

It’s location in the heart of Western Europe also makes it a great place to be based to explore the rest of Europe.

As a student living in Switzerland you should budget for between CHF1,500-CHF2,500 (€1,250-€2,000) per month to live on (accommodation, travel, food etc).

Working in Switzerland as a student (Study in Switzerland from UK)

Students from EU/EFTA countries can work for a maximum of 15 hours per week without any additional permit for the entire period of their student permit.

Students from non-EU/EFTA countries are permitted to work part-time employment for a maximum of 15 hours per week.

However, this is possible if they have lived in Switzerland for a minimum of 6 months. For the duration of their part-time employment they must maintain full-time student status and show regular progress in their studies.

Third country nationals who earn a degree from a Swiss university can stay in the country after graduation for up to six months to seek permanent full-time employment.

Non-EU/EFTA citizens will need to get a work permit before starting their job. To get a work permit your employer will submit an application to the relevant authority.

Healthcare & insurance in Swiss

Health insurance is mandatory for all Swiss residents. If you are a foreign student and you are planning to be in Switzerland for more than three months you must get a health insurance policy.

It is advisable to sort out private healthcare from your country of origin before arriving in Switzerland.

Switzerland has a compulsory health insurance system that guarantees access to a range of quality medical care services and appropriate medical treatment to all people living in Switzerland.

Student visas

If you plan to study in Switzerland for more than three months, you must apply for a student visa before you move to the country.

There are two types of visas for students depending on the length of their stay:

  • C Visa for short stays such as summer schools
  • D Visa for extend stays.

Non-EU nationals apply for Swiss student visas at the Swiss Embassy or consulate in their home country. Visas can take several months to process so factor this into your plans and apply early.

Students from the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) and the UK do not need a visa to study in the country.

However, all students need to apply for a residence permit and register as a foreign resident within 14 days of arrival.

You will need to submit:

  • a valid passport
  • proof of university registration
  • a bank statement to provide evidence of funds
  • proof of health insurance
  • proof of address
  • two passport photographs.

There are three types of residence permit:

  • Permit L for a one-year stay. Can only be renewed once.
  • Permit B for a one-year stay but has no renewal limit.
  • Permit C is for permanent residence.

EU/EFTA nationals (Study in Switzerland from UK)

If you are a student from a country in the EU or EFTA you must register with the Residents’ Registration Office at your local authorities within 14 days of arriving in Switzerland and apply for a residence permit.

You will need to submit the following for documentation:

1.    Valid passport or identity card.
2.     Proof of your university registration.
3.     Evidence of sufficient funds to cover your living costs for the duration of your studies.
4.    Proof of address at your Swiss residence.
5.    Completed application form for residence permit.
6.    Two passport-size photographs

Non-EU/EFTA nationals

If you are a student from a non-EU/EFTA country you must contact the Swiss Embassy or the Swiss consulate in your native country and apply for a visa.

To apply for a visa you will need:

1.    Valid passport or identity card.
2.     Proof of your university registration.
3.     Evidence of sufficient funds to cover your living costs for the duration of your studies.
4.    Proof of address at your Swiss residence.
5.    Completed application form for residence permit.
6.    Two passport-size photographs

How to Apply

The country does not have a centralized admission procedure most applications to Swiss universities are made online directly to institutions.

Get to official website for specific information and admission deadlines, contact the admissions office of your chosen university.

On your application form you’ll need to indicate the faculty and degree programme you’re interested in.

You’ll then receive written confirmation of your application along with an application fee invoice and a list of the supporting documents required.

Finally, after submitting the requested documents, you’ll be sent formal confirmation.

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.